If you have been following my blog lately, then you know that I love to save money. Not only is it scriptural to be wise with what He provides you, it just makes sense! Couponing is a great way to maximize, multiple and stretch a buck. However, not everyone wants to coupon, they think it is too time consuming or have some other hang up. So, in my last money saving blog post about salvage grocery shopping I shared how you can save easily save 70-95% without coupons. Today, I want to share another awesome way to get some great deals on some essentials many which are organic!
Manager’s specials also know as manager markdowns can save you 50-75%. And yes that is without coupons!
What things can you expect to find marked down?
Meat, cheese, dairy products, bakery items, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables are the main things you will find marked down. However, I have found some great mark downs in the freezer section, coffee/tea isle, personal care and canned goods too.
Why do stores mark down products so cheap?
While the reasons can very, here are the main ones I have run into…
Clearance (store is no longer carrying the item)
Overstocked (need to reduce inventory fast)
Best By Date Expiring Soon
Returned and/or Restocked Items
Are manager’s specials safe to consume?
Yes! Obviously use your judgement. If that meat that is marked down looks a little funky, don’t chance it. Produce is also easy to identify if it is spoiled or not. Yogurt, cheeses, milk and other dairy, even if the buy now product is today, if you consume it in the next week you will be fine. Also many dairy products & fruits/veggies freeze well so you could potentially stock up on these items if you find a stellar deal.
Can I use coupons on markdowns to maximize my savings?
Absolutely! I was actually able to do this with a few Manager’s Specials we got this week on coconut milk (I got these free), organic yogurt (49 cents for a 4-pack) and a protein drink from Bolthouse (32 oz. for $1.99). There might be some stores that restrict using a coupon with a markdown, but personally I have yet to run into one that does this.
More Tips On Manager’s Specials aka Markdowns
- Ask your store when they normally preform markdowns.
- Ask what the sticker looks like that indicates it is a markdown, so you are know what to look for.
- Ask if your store has a special spot for clearance/markdown items.
- Only buy what you know you can consume or preserve for consumption later.
- Pay attention to the register to make sure your items ring up right!
- If you have a coupon, use it to maximize your savings.
- Don’t be afraid of manager’s specials/markdowns!
- Check your store frequently, if it makes sense time/gas wise.
Our Savings From Manager’s Specials and Markdowns
(Click images to see full pictures.)
3) Vital Coco coconut water 33.8 oz $1.69 each (normally $5.29 ea.)
1) Aurora Herbal Fruit Infused Water $0.49 (normally $1.99)
2) Stonyfield Organic Yogurt French Vanilla 32 oz $1.79 each (normally $3.56)
1) Bolthouse Farms 100% Pomegranate Juice 64 oz $4.99 (normally $9.99)
3) Odwalla Mango Tango 32 oz $1.99 (normally $4.99)
1) Garden Fresh Artichoke Garlic Salsa $1.99 (normally $3.99)
1) Private Selection Natural Salsa $0.89 (normally $2.99)
1) Lifeway Kefir Probiotic Pomegranate $1.49 (normally $3.29)
2) Lifeway Kefir Probiotic Strawberry $0.99 (normally $3.29)
4) Private Selection Organic Herbs (Cilantro x2, Poultry Herb Blend, Dill) $0.79 (normally 2 for $3)
1) Private Selection Organic Herbs (Cilantro, Poultry Herb Blend, Dill) $0.49 (normally $2 for $3)
2) Dole Salad Mix (Field Greens and Spring Mix) $1.35 (normally $3.99)
2) Dole Salad Mix Caesar Kit $1.00 (normally $3.99)
2) Stonyfield Organic YoBaby 4-pack (banana and blueberry) $1.49 (normally $3.99)
1) Glory Foods Kale Greens $1.49 (normally $3.99)
1) Bakery Hamburger Buns $1.49 (normally $3.99)
1) Kosher Valley All Natural (no growth hormones, no antibiotics, vegetarian fed) Young Turkey 15 pounds $24.29 (normally $40.59)
1) Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea 32 oz. $2.99 (normally $4.99)
1) Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea 32 oz. $2.50 (normally $4.99)
1) Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappuccino 32 oz. $1.00 (normally $4.99)
8 ) Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon $0.99 (normally $2.49)
1) Uncle Matt’s Organic Orange Juice 64 oz. $2.75 (normally $6.39)
1) Horizon Organic DHA Omega-3 Whole Milk Half Gallon $1.60 (normally $4.49)
2) Silk PureCoconut Original Half Gallon $0.99 (normally $3.99)
1) Litehouse Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing $1.99 (normally $3.99)
2) Guru All Natural Energy Drinks $0.79 (normally $1.99)
1) Hyland’s All Natural Colic Tablets $1.00 (normally $5.99)
1) Whole Button Mushrooms 16 oz. $1.39 (normally $3.99)
1) Sliced Button Mushrooms 16 oz. $1.49 (normally $3.99)
1) Gourmet Garden Chili Pepper $1.79 (normally 2 for $7)
2) Private Selection Organic Celery $0.99 (normally $1.99)
6) Meyenberg Goat Milk $1.80 (normally $5.49)
Unfortunately, I am not perfect and totally forgot to take pictures of the following items. Since we already ate them up, you will just have to take my word on these 😉
1) Organic Portobello Mushrooms 8 oz $1.89 (normally $3.99)
2) Organic 50/50 Salad Mix 1lb. $1.24 (normally $4.99)
1) Gourmet Garden Dill $1.79 (normally 2 for $7)
1) Stonyfield Organic Yogurt Plain 32 oz $1.79 (normally $3.56)
2) Private Selection Organic Herbs (Sage, Tarragon) $0.79 (normally 2 for $3)
1) Private Selection Organic Herbs (Rosemary) $0.49 (normally 2 for $3)
2) Meyenberg Goat Whole Milk $1.80 (normally $5.49)
1) Meyenberg Goat Low Fat Milk $1.80 (normally $5.49)
Total Cost of Manager’s Specials: $122.02
Normal Retail Cost: $299.92
Coupon Savings: $3.55
Total Savings = 61% or $174.35
I hope this post encourages you to save more for your family and become a faithful provider of what He has blessed you with. If you like this post and find it of value, then please share and comment below! Come back and let me know what kind of great deals you have gotten with Manager’s Specials. Happy deal hunting 😉
ShalomAH & blessings to you all!
‘I will bless the YaHuWaH at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.’ ~TehaleYAim (Psalms) 34:1
‘Test all things and hold firmly that which is good.’ ~1 ThessalonikiAH (Thessalonians) 5:21
Latest posts by Jamie Pelaez (see all)
- Refuse To Allow The Signs of The Times To Get You Down - November 17, 2015
- The Love Of Money Misconception - September 23, 2013
- Why I Am Choosing To Not Write About The Memorial of 9/11 - September 11, 2013